How to get updates for macOS Mojave or later
Explore the world of Mac. Check out MacBook Pro, iMac Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, and more. Visit the Apple site to learn, buy, and get support.
- Apple sells several applications that do not come default on the MacBook, such as the iWork software bundle and Aperture. Basics Apple includes standard applications like Mail, iTunes, iChat, Safari, Calendar, Address Book and Photo Booth on MacBooks.
- The program covers eligible MacBook, MacBook Air, and MacBook Pro models for 4 years after the first retail sale of the unit. Information as of 2019-07-09 Apple Footer.
If you've upgraded to macOS Mojave or later, follow these steps to keep it up to date:
Jun 11, 2020. The product is real amazing. I had initial doubts shopping a MacBook online as I heard about refurbished products being delivered. But really amazed with this brand new MacBook. Properly packed and apple sealed box. Really happy about this MacBook 8th gen. Its superb fast and a very smooth performance. Happy to move from windows to Mac.
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu , then click Software Update to check for updates.
- If any updates are available, click the Update Now button to install them. Or click ”More info” to see details about each update and select specific updates to install.
- When Software Update says that your Mac is up to date, the installed version of macOS and all of its apps are also up to date. That includes Safari, iTunes, Books, Messages, Mail, Calendar, Photos, and FaceTime.
To find updates for iMovie, Garageband, Pages, Numbers, Keynote, and other apps that were downloaded separately from the App Store, open the App Store on your Mac, then click the Updates tab.
To automatically install macOS updates in the future, including apps that were downloaded separately from the App Store, select ”Automatically keep my Mac up to date.” Your Mac will notify you when updates require it to restart, so you can always choose to install those later.
How to get updates for earlier macOS versions
If you're using an earlier macOS, such as macOS High Sierra, Sierra, El Capitan, or earlier,* follow these steps to keep it up to date:
- Open the App Store app on your Mac.
- Click Updates in the App Store toolbar.
- Use the Update buttons to download and install any updates listed.
- When the App Store shows no more updates, the installed version of macOS and all of its apps are up to date. That includes Safari, iTunes, iBooks, Messages, Mail, Calendar, Photos, and FaceTime. Later versions may be available by upgrading your macOS.
To automatically download updates in the future, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click App Store, then select ”Download newly available updates in the background.” Your Mac will notify you when updates are ready to install.
* If you're using OS X Lion or Snow Leopard, get OS X updates by choosing Apple menu > Software Update.
How to get updates for iOS
Learn how to update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to the latest version of iOS.
- Learn how to upgrade to the latest version of macOS.
- Find out which macOS your Mac is using.
- You can redownload apps that you previously downloaded from the App Store.
- Your Mac doesn't automatically download large updates when it's using a Personal Hotspot.
Like all Macs, the MacBook Air comes with Apple's latest, greatest operating system, and on the 2011 models it's the OS X Lion. With the Lion operating system you'll get a lot of functional software, such as Mail, Address Book, Time Machine, Safari and Screen Sharing. It also has some fun software, such as Photo Booth, iChat and QuickTime.
As far as Mac operating systems go, OS X Lion really changed the way Mac users interact with their computers. In many ways it moved toward the familiar functionality of touch screen devices, like the iPad and iPhone. For example, through a program called LaunchPad you can access and use apps, including ones you've already purchased for your iPad or iPhone through your iTunes account. What's more, OS X Lion allows you to use the laptop's trackpad to swipe and zoom, using hand motions similar to those on a touchscreen device [source: Apple].
Apple Macbook Software Upgrade
In addition to Mac operating system, the MacBook Air comes equipped with iLife, which is a software package that includes iPhoto, iMovie and Garage Band [source: Apple]. And don't forget about all the additional software Apple offers that you can add. From iWork -- Apple's office software package with spreadsheet, word processing and presentation programs, to Final Cut Pro -- a dynamic, professional video editing software, Apple offers several tools to help you stay organized, have fun and get the job done.
Apple Macbook Pro
Even though Apple's standard software is great, there are lots of options to upgrade. For instance, if you love iPhoto but want more professional photo editing tools and options, you can upgrade to Aperture to edit and organize all your photos. Plus, if you already have all your photos in iPhoto, you can easily transfer them to Aperture without hassle [source: Apple].
A popular software for musicians is Logic Studio, which makes it easy to create, mix, manage and perform your music using professional recording and editing tools. You can also transfer your music projects from Garage Band if you decide to upgrade to Logic Studio [source: Apple].
Apple Macbook Software Update Failed
Want more? There are all kinds of software that's usable on Macs beyond just what Apple offers, including games, creative software and business tools.
Macbook air software free download. Global Nav Open Menu Global Nav Close Menu; Apple; Shopping Bag +. Search Support.